GOSHAVANK MONASTERY

“Goshavank Monastery”, 12 th or 13 th century Armenian monastery, is located in the village of Gosh in the Tavush Province of Armenia. Today the monastery is not a functioning religious complex, although it remains a popular touristy destination and has recently undergone some restoration.

Not far from Haghartsin Monastery there is another beacon of science and culture of ancient Armenia, “Goshavank Monastery” or “Nor Getik” where the major medieval university used to be. Goshavank was built in 1188 on the place of ancient monastery Getik, which was destroyed by the earthquake. The politician and outstanding scientist as well as the writer of medieval Armenia, Mkhitar Gosh, whose name was given to the monastery, took part in its construction.

The monastery complex includes St. Astvatsatsin church (1196), St. Gregory church (1231), St. Gregory the Illuminator church (1241), the book-depository with belfry (1291), the school buildings, the chapel and the gallery (13 th century).

The view of Goshavank Monastery is majestic. All buildings of the complex were built in classical style with cross-shaped facades free of decor. The central building is decorated with the huge dome on round tall drum. The central dome towers over entire complex making it complete and noble.

Goshavank monastery is also known for its khachars decorated complicated carved patterns.